On the night of April 14th, 1912, the R.M.S Titanic, bound from Southampton to New York, on her Maiden Voyage, collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic. The iceberg ripped open the first 5 compartments and the Titanic sank in the early hours of April 15th, taking the lives of 1,517 men, women and children. ONLY 710 survived that night.
* It is 269m long (4 x the length of boring 747 plane) can carry 3547 Passengers and crew (fully loaded):
* Took 3 years to build where 8 contruction workers died
* 1st class is 60 pounds (which is today's 4000 pounds equivalent)
* 3rd class is cheapest at 2 pounds ( only 1 way)~ which is about 2 weeks of salary for a general un-skill worker
Staterooms (840 total):
First Class: 416
Second Class: 162
Third Class: 262
Plus 40 open berthing areas
* The designer was so confident that Titanic is "un-sinkable" ...they only placed 20 life boat on board...which could only carry half the capacity (for 1178 px). Each boat can carry about 65 seats.There were 20 boats in all: 14 lifeboats, each designed to carry 65 passengers; 2 emergency boats, each with a capacity of 40 passengers; and 4 Engelhardt (collapsible) boats, each capable of carrying 47 passengers.
* Captain is 62 years old vetern Captain Smith (24 years of experience)
* 10 April 1912 , 12 noon ...Titanic set off 1st time (Maiden voyage) to the ocean..There are 2227 Passengers and crews on board
* The 2 look outs only saw the coming ice berg with their naked eye 37 seconds before the actual impact..as they do not have access to bino which are locked away accidentally..
* 11.40pm (close to mid night) hit into the ice berg side...
* Within 1 hours ...5 compartments are flooding over 4m high...(Safety feature can only hold up to 4 comaprtments!)
* 1.45am ...the last life boat was lowered...the power failed and light goes out from Titanic...The date is 14 April 1912
* 1517 people died in the titanic disaster,only 710 people survived out of 2227 people in total aboard. Although the Carpathia picked up 711 survivors, one of these died en route to New York and was counted among the casualties, reducing the total number of survivors to 710
This is the story of Titanic...The real reason, why titanic was lost to the sea.
Mystery solved....Watch the 3 parts series..